Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 1 in Korea

I made it to Seoul. About 30 hours of traveling and 3 delayed flights I arrived in Korea very late Monday night. An administrator from the school was there to meet me and another teacher that arrived on the same flight. We piled into a van and drove about 40 minutes to the school. I wish I could tell you what the city looked like an night but I was too tired to look.

Once making it to the school and gettig all of my bags to the apartment I managed to call home, eat some Pizza Hut pizza, shower and make my bed before going to sleep.

I'm slowly getting settled and adjusted over here. I have a lot of space in my apartment so it is just a matter of putting my things away logically. I have an apartment that while small is more than enough for one person. My bedroom has windows on two sides and it is only big enough for my bed and a night stand. There are 4 sliding doors made of wooden frames and paper that seperate my bed from my study and the biggest closet I have ever had.
   
Today (Tuesday) went well. The medical at the hospital was good. The doctor in charge of the international clinic is American although born and raised in Korea. All the staff speaks fluent English and is very nice. They made the physical go very smoothly. The clinic is a short walk through Yonsei University. It took about 10 minutes to get from the school to the clinic which is part of a large hospital with an excellent representation. We also stopped at the Starbucks in the hospital. I had a little taste of home with my iced white chocolate mocca.

I went to the embassy as well today to start the paperwork for my Korean drivers liscense. I don't know how much I'll be driving but I want to have the ability to if needed.

 We also went to a market here. I bought some carrots, peppers, peanut butter, sugar, and soap. It was expensive but close. We will be going to CostCo later in the week and I'll stock up there. The market was playing American music (Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, and Frank Sinatra to name a few.)

Everyone here is very nice and welcoming. I have been meeting the administration and all of the new teachers. While the majority of the teachers are American there are several from England, a handful from Canada, and a few from France. A number of these teachers have taught overseas at other schools. It has been fun to hear their stories although I don't know how much I retained. I might have to hear it all several times before it sinks in.

Although they say it is monsoon season there was no rain today. It was hot and humid, just like home.

Some things are different, but I think I'll do nicely here.

Pictures to follow once I find my camera and start taking them and then acquire a computer.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,
    I am thrilled for you and I am happy your first day went well. This is such an exciting adventure. Take it all in!!
    All the best,
    Theresa Skala

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Glad you arrived safely and are getting settled in! Love from Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it safely. Keep rck of all the NEW food items you see/eat, especially the seafood. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good that you feel you have too much space for one person. That way there is room for Christina if she come to be your house keeper at some pt in the next two years.

    ReplyDelete