Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 3 of my life on crutches

Today was my first day to work post accident. It started out less than great when I overslept by and hour, but I made it to school with time to spare. Today was orientation/registration day. In the morning the new students wandered around the school with their buddies getting a feel for SFS. In the afternoon the returning students started to filter through with their schedules in hand. I met a few parents and several students throughout the afternoon. In between students I was able to get a lot of things done for the start of school tomorrow.

We met as a science department again and ironed out our grading system for IB tests. One more thing checked off what seems to be a never ending list.

My new school has been more caring and supportive than I can imagine. A "meals on wheels" thing has been set up for me, with people that I don't even know signing up to bring me dinner. A number of people I have spoken to during my day sympathized with me and gave me pointers on how to get around on crutches. My new buddy however has been more helpful than can be described. She has basically rearranged her life to help meet my needs. I have never met a more selfless person, I am so lucky to be in such a supportive environment while in such a state.

I have an appointment with an orthopedic next week, I hope I will have better news.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rebecca, maybe you need to adjust your crutches (so that they aren't hitting your arm pits). As I recall from my experience on crutches you should be supporting yourself more with your arms/wrists on the little horizontal posts. That's really a bummer...especially when you need to be caryring things around. I'm so happy you're surrounded by caring people. You're in my prayers. Love Aunt Olivia

    ReplyDelete