Wednesday, August 18, 2010

And so it began

School is well underway as we have finished our second day of teaching. Here are the highlights:

Day 1 -
- Assembly - like most other high school assemblies, but it started with a meaningful prayer
- Homeroom - Made it through that, barely. I wasn't too focused on homeroom as I was behind in my preparations for my first period class.
- Bio 1 - 55 minutes flew by. I know we talked about the syllabus, textbooks, and science, but I am not sure on the finer points. We also planted beans. Yea!
- Planning period - in the blink of an eye that was over
- IB Bio Year 1 - A small class of juniors that are so eager and knowledgeable that I am going to have to work hard to keep them satisfied. These are the kids that want to learn so much that it can be a struggle keeping up.
- Lunch and planning - a lovely end to a first day

Last night's dinner was a taste of home, sauteed chicken, mashed potatoes, salad, and chocolate chip cookies. Thank goodness my buddy came over to help me polish off the cookies and to have some working times.

Day 2/My birthday!
- Up early (5:00am) to get ready. I Skyped with my folks, had Frosted Flakes (Korean style) and iced coffee for breakfast. What a great start to the day!
- In my classroom by 7:10 am so plenty of time to print off the last of my materials for the day and to modify the PowerPoint presentation.
- IB Bio Year 2 - A class of seniors unsure about me in the beginning but I think I won them over by the end. They are concerned, and rightfully so, about the change in teachers halfway through their program. I have a list of topics they want to review in depth before April.
- IB Bio Year 1 - A large group of juniors, some excited and ready to go, some just making it by. This will be a dynamic (code for diverse interest) class.
- IB Bio Year 2 - Another group of seniors, by this time in the day I was the one just making it by. More on them later.
- Lunch - it seems most of the science department brings their lunch to school and we eat together in the science office. Unlike my last school, we are all sharing classrooms and are the department piloting a shared office space. A small classroom was turned into an office with 9 cubicles. I never thought I would have a cubicle as a teacher, but so far it is OK.
- Assembly - Today there was a memorial service for a student that passed away over the summer. I didn't know the young man, and from what people were saying about him I missed out. It was a difficult hour for the school, but I think it brought some closure to a number of students.
- Plan period - again, it went by so fast that I don't even know what I did.

At the end of the day, once classes were over the science department sang to me and we had brownies. These were some of the best brownies that I have had in a while and it was nice to be surrounded by so many caring and like minded people. My old school was amazing, but it seemed that we never had time to see any of the other teachers. With this shared office space I think I will be seeing a lot more of my colleagues.

The greatest gift I could have given myself was hiring my adjumonie. Today was her first day. I had written out a list and felt terrible asking for so much. I came home excited to see my recycling taken out from my airlock/mudroom. As I came further into my apartment I was amazed at all she did for me. My place is immaculate! My laundry was washed, some dried and folded, some hanging on my rack air drying. I panicked for a moment when I couldn't find my sheets and my bed looked unmade, only to realize that the comforter I was using as a mattress pad was simply being used as intended and my bed was in fact made. I don't know how she did all she did in 4 hours, but I am relieved and grateful.

I hope to fill the rest of my evening with a nice dinner (potato chowder, salad, and fruit), some lesson planning, textbook reading, and working on Kelan's blanket.

When I spoke to my brother earlier this week he asked if I had made the right choice. I am glad he waited two weeks and I hope he asks again later in the year, but without hesitation I was able to answer, "Yes!" Tampa is home, Gainseville a great place for college, Cleveland a year I learned a lot about myself, and Baltimore full of great friends and an amazing start to teaching. I don't know what Seoul is yet, but I know it is the right place for me now.

Random: The spell check on this program suggested Knoxville for Gainesville. It made me chuckle.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Rebecca!! I'm truly enjoying your blog. It definitely lets me live vicariously through you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure your students love you Becca! Unsure at this point or not, they will surely see the knowledge and enthusiasm you bring to the class. Man I'm jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca -

    Jeannette and I want to say happy belated birthday. We are going to get set up on Skype this weekend so we can connect. I am glad you are having such a great time teaching over there. We are very proud of you!

    Matt & Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm behind on your blog (here I will again request you to add the email subscription option) but the bday messages reminded me to ask AGAIN for your address b/c I wanted to surprise you w/ a bday card :) I know it'll be significantly late now, but it's not my fault this time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looked through the site and the help features and have seen nothing to allow an email subscription option. If you want that you will have to walk me through the process. My address is 'in the mail'. Literally, I just e-mailed you.

    ReplyDelete