Sunday, August 15, 2010

Oh Rebecca!

I knew that I would fall while I was here in Seoul, more than once too. I just didn't imagine I would fall so soon, or with such results. On Friday morning I got up ad went to the gym with my buddy. We had a grand time. After that I was at my desk early getting stuff done. Followed by breakfast, and meetings. After my IB meeting I decided to pop into guidance to get a head count as instructed by my principal. I walked into the office with my sights set on Bev, not on the step down into the office. Well, I missed it and hit the ground. It hurt, my body and my pride. Usually I pop up and shake it off. Well, I popped up, but I couldn't shake it off. My next step was the nurses office. They wrapped it up, gave me some pain pills, told me to change out of my flip flops and to see the doctor the next day if all wasn't well. I managed through the rest of the day limping around and telling my tale.

I slept fitfully Friday night and was still in pain when I woke up Saturday morning. I got myself to the clinic and told them my tale. They sent me for an X-Ray and then told me it was broken. Turns out the bones of your toes are about as long as your fingers and I broke my little toe near the base. This means I will be in a cast and on crutches for 4 weeks.

It is now Sunday morning, I spoke with my folks and told my silly tale. I wrapped the tops of my crutches with some towels and have been getting around my apartment with moderate success. Sleeping last night was a challenge but it happened. Today I will leave my apartment and make my way to Mass which is held in the Middle School. I took something similar to a shower with my casted leg propped up on a drawer next to the tub. I hope that I get the hang of this very soon so that I can keep up with my students. Tuesday is the first day of classes, that isn't too far from now.

Good news: Only 27 more days with this silly thing on (hopefully).
Bad news: My armpits hurt.

5 comments:

  1. Christina - now would be a good time to come over and help out. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Oh Rebecca" is right!! I'm sorry about your luck friend!! If it makes you feel any better, I fell down the stairs in my school in Montanita, twice in a row. I slipped and fell hard on my butt, popped up, took one step and fell hard on my butt again. I fell the same way both times and had the biggest, darkest bruise of my life on my left butt cheek for a week and a half!! About the size of my entire hand...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey--we would make quite a pair. I decided to start excercising last month so I joined the local gym. Because of my arthritis, it was recommended that I try the eliptical machine. After a week I was up to 35 minutes and very proud of myself, but my left foot hurt like the dickens. I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago and after the x-ray, was told that I had a stress fracture in my 2nd toe. The doctor told me to stay off of it as much as I could but after a week of teaching, I couldn't stand the pain. On Thursday he put me in a cast. All of my students have signed it. Good luck. If you were a bit more local, we could have a cast-coming-off party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well at least this time you know what the wound is from :) good luck with the cast! hope the first day went well! miss you!

    ReplyDelete