Thursday, September 2, 2010

ESP and typhoon Kompasu

Yesterday was not the best of days. I was worn out when I got home and then making dinner wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I was feeling behind with work and lacked the energy and time to feel that my efforts would make a difference. I plodded on anyhow. I eventually made and ate a nice dinner (simple sloppy joes, rice and baked fries - carb overload), cleaned my mess up, made my lunch for toady, made my bed, showered, and put in a few hours of work. I have been working only a few hours ahead of my kids and I was having trouble seeing the scope and sequence of my courses. It was like trying to get out of a forest. I was walking in a straight line from one point to another. I know I was making progress, but I had no idea what the big picture was.

I went to bed late and a bit deflated. I woke up late (5:45am) but mostly rested. I awoke to my foot throbbing in pain which is my new ESP telling me rain is here or coming. I looked outside and sure enough there was a RAGING storm. I rolled over and continued with my normal wake up routine: turn off alarm clock on my I-Pod, check my FaceBook and e-mail from bed using my IPod. While on Facebook I saw that another teacher mentioned an approaching typhoon. Hm....I glanced outside again, dragged myself to my computer and sure enough it was a typhoon I was experiencing, not just another storm.

I spent some more time looking at the weather radar, looking outside, and talking with my sister in SC. Eventually I got my act together and was on my way out the door around 7:00am. I had eaten breakfast and packed both lunch and dinner. Tonight was Back to School night and I didn't want to have to come home for dinner if it was storming. I had a bag on my cast and resolution to make this a good day. Just as my buddy and I were going to set off towards another day of impacting young people a teacher passing by told us that school was closed due to the typhoon. I would have jumped for joy if I wasn't broken. Several phone calls and e-mails later it was confirmed. Typhoon Day - schools are closed.

Immediately I changed into shorts and a t-shirt and created a to-do list. I didn't want to waste this precious gift of time. My list has 12 things on it, I have completed two of them in the 5 hours I have been "working". I also chatted with some friends on Skype, picked up my place a little, and had lunch. I might not get through my entire list, but I have worked out my year plan for one prep, and have roughly planned out the entire month of September for 2 of my 3 preps. I have made great strides and now feel like I am going to be able to give my students my best. I figure that I have about 4 more hours of productive time before I call it quits. In that time I will do a lot of the simple tasks on my to-do list.

God has provided, and I am thankful.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you are safe during the typhoon! I am glad you were productive during your time. I miss and love you!

    KP

    ReplyDelete