Sunday, September 5, 2010

On my own

This morning marked a first for me. I went out into Seoul on my own, mostly. I got up early, made a list and headed down the hill to catch a taxi. A couple from the high school stopped and gave me a ride down the hill, which saved me a lot of time and energy.

The next thing I had to do was catch a taxi to the World Cup Stadium which has Home Plus in it. The first two taxis did not understand me, the third did so off I went. (Note to self, learn more Korean.) For a point of reference, Home Plus is similar to an old Super Wal-Mart. It is actually owned by Tesco for those folks out there that are English. It is open 24 hours, and the first time I went it was a mad house. I struggled to get through all of the people that were out shopping on a weeknight. I hoped I would have better luck on a Sunday morning, and I was right. There were very few people there so I was able to hobble around and gather what I wanted.

My students are doing experiments this week and needed a variety of things from the grocery store so I tried to find them. I struggled to find whole milk. I found the milk easily, but whole milk - I didn't know what to look for in Korean. I found the milk that had the most calories and decided that would have to do.

I somehow managed a box of potatoes, three bags of groceries and my crutches, found a taxi and made it home a little tired, but with a sense of accomplishment. I got everything into my apartment (thanks to my buddy's help) and to 10:00am Mass. Now as I sit her tired from my full morning I am looking around my kitchen and living area an noticing what a mess it is.

I go to the doctor on Thursday to have my cast off, another X-Ray and to hear what the doctor has to say. I am hoping that I won't need another hard cast, I just don't want to go another two weeks with such limited mobility. I have had enough and hope that the absence of pain in my foot is an indication that a hard cast is not needed anymore. I would like to have a shower with both feet on the ground.

On a positive note, my left leg has never looked so defined.

No comments:

Post a Comment