Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pepero Day, two shoes, and study groups

Big things happening. Sorry in advance for the lack of order or connections.

Today is Pepero day in Korea. On November 11 it has become tradition to exchange Perpero treats. These are little cookie-ish sticks that are either dipped in chocolate, chocolate and nuts, or filled with chocolate. They are good and it was fun giving them to my students today. I gave them to some classes as they watched a movie on Global Climate change and as prizes for students getting the correct answers in another class. It was different.

I went to the doctor for another round of x-rays and a consultation today. I went with a book in hand and low expectations. I was told by my doctor in the States that a break like the one I have can take up to 9 months to heal. It has only been 3 and at my last appointment there had been no indication of healing. I arrived at the hospital, was taken to the x-ray area and left to wait. After a few minutes my number was called and I went for my 4th set of x-rays. This was the first time I was given a lead apron to wear. I was especially happy to have it as I just finished a lesson on mutations due to radiation. The tech and I went through the normal x-ray steps. He said a few things in English and motioned a lot. I sat, I stood, and I turned this way and that way. After my X-rays I went and waited for my consultation. The news this time was better. I have showed signs of healing, although my toe is still broken. I have been cleared to wear sneakers and swim, but specifically told to avoid running, jumping, or heels. Tomorrow will be the first time this year that my students will see me in two shoes. I have to take care as there is a possibility of re-breaking my toe. I suppose the new trampoline will have to go without my testing for another two months. I go back in January for more X-rays and another consultation.

Upon my return to school from the hospital I had 8 students join me in my room for some extra help. They didn't really need me, but I provided a place where they could study in groups. That was my big push last week at parent/teacher/student conferences. To try studying in a group. I am happy to see that several of them are giving it a shot. I think they will benefit from the effort. I love getting to know my students more.

No comments:

Post a Comment