Saturday, October 30, 2010

The blue form

Today was a great day. In reality, my life here in Korea is wonderful. Here are the highlights of my last few weeks.

1. I really like my students - they have such high expectations of me that I am becoming a much better teacher. My former students are great, and the relationships that I have/had with them cannot be replicated, however the dynamics here are so different. Having boys in the class is different, but enjoyable. Living on campus (and not having much of a life) has given me the opportunity to see many of the events that my students are involved in. Last night while out to dinner some of my students came into the restaurant just to say hello to me. It was so heart warming. After dinner we went for ice cream and I ran into the same group of students again. It was great.

2. I received an e-mail from a former student. Just as I was about to go to sleep her e-mail came in and made me laugh. Hearing from the States is always wonderful.

3. My presence has been requested for next week. My time has been booked for Friday night of next week. My new friends wanted to make sure that I was going to come for dinner so they made a point to mention it tonight.

4. Oktoberfest! Tonight was the campus Oktoberfest. We had a nice potluck style dinner and a bonfire. The fellow who organized it filled out a building request form (blue form) and magically 6 gas grills were delivered for the meat, and several table with chairs were put up. My school has these blue forms that I have known about but have yet to fill out. Last night another teacher blue formed wood for a bonfire and 4 bags of wood was delivered precut and ready to burn. Amazing! As a result of these blue forms and the effort of my co-workers I have had two lovely nights enjoying the cool-ish weather. My addition to the meal tonight was German potato salad. I did eat much of Aunt Adeline's potato salad when I was younger, but I think I may have come close. I tripled the serving and only had one small portion left.

I am going to leave it at that and enjoy an evening of crocheting and yogurt making. I hope the yogurt turns out this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment