Monday, October 10, 2011

Where did the time go?

Once again, it seems like my weekends disappear before they begin. This weekend involved a market adventure, retreat preparation, a SPECTACULAR high school performance, a wild and crazy birthday party, American brunch, lifeguard training, and preparing some Mexican fare for a dinner meeting I have tonight.

I failed to accomplish much in the way of grading papers, but I was involved in the high school environment.

Preparing for the high school retreat (Vida) reminded me of preparations for ALPHA in college. I have enjoyed getting to know my students on another level, and showing them a non-academic side of myself. A few of the students wanted to know if they could call me Rebecca. When I said that would be ok with me outside of the classroom, they still couldn't bring themselves to use my first name. It was a bit dramatic, but very comical.

I am one step closer to becoming a student again. I have applied to and received a provisional acceptance to a graduate program at the University of Maryland-College Park. There are two final steps, submission of transcripts and successfully passing an entrance exam. The transcripts are being compiled (which is what happens when you attend 4 different universities) and I am contemplating the test. I will need to have a 3 hour block of time to complete 50 multiple questions and 10 essay questions. My student suggested that I simply "Google" the questions or use my textbook. I was exasperated at the thought and I wondered what they have learned thus far in their education. I corrected them by explaining personal integrity, and I hope it sticks with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment